Below you will find useful information about the

New Mexico State University
International Student Insurance Plan

Currently displaying:

Important Messages


Use your insurance

Visit the campus health center first before receiving any treatment off campus. If you receive a referral to be seen by an outside provider, keep the signed Referral Form until you are ready to submit your claim.

Location: Corner of McFie and Breland Drive

Phone: (575) 646-1512

Hours: Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (closed 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.)

Closed weekends and school holidays. Consult the campus health center website for summer hours.

If you are unable to visit the campus health center, use providers in the PPO network whenever possible.

It is best to locate an in-network doctor, urgent care center, and emergency room near you before you get sick. To find a PPO provider, call (800) 678-7427 or visit the PHCS Network website (link below).

  1. Select “Find a Provider.”
  2. Read about provider information changes and click “OK.”
  3. Click on “Select a Network”, then select “PHCS.”
  4. Use the search box to specify what type of provider you are seeking.
  5. Set your Location by updating your “Zip Code” and “Enter.”
  6. You may refine your search results as applicable to your needs.

Always check with the doctor or medical facility directly to confirm that they accept PHCS before you receive treatment.

Pharmacy benefits are managed by Express Scripts. Express Scripts pharmacies include Rite-Aid, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, Albertsons, and many others. Please see the Express Scripts website (link below) to find a participating pharmacy near you, or call (800) 447-9638.

To fill a prescription, visit any Express Scripts network pharmacy. There are no copays under this plan. If you visit a non-network provider, you will need to pay for the prescription in full at the time of pickup, then submit a claim for reimbursement. See the link below for a prescription drug claim form.

In most cases, the provider will submit the claim for you.

If you are required to pay for services up front, you will need to complete a claim form in order to be reimbursed by the insurance company.

Download a claim form below, and send the completed form with all bills and receipts for medical treatment to:

Relation Insurance Services
P.O. Box 25936
Overland Park, KS 66225

Make sure you fill out the form completely so your claim will be processed promptly.

Keep copies of all the documents you submit for claims.

To check the status of a claim you submitted, call Relation Insurance Services at (877) 246-6997.


Confidential Communication Request

If you would like to have confidential medical information from the claims administrator sent to an address other than the address on file with your school, you can download a Confidential Communication Request, fill out the form, and send it to the address listed. This form is available below.

Students covered under the student insurance plan are automatically enrolled in the Catlin Travel Assistance coverage. This coverage offers many services to help students when traveling away from your school or outside the U.S., including medical emergencies during travel, help with lost luggage, documents, or medications, insightful pre-trip information, and more.

For additional information, see your plan summary or visit the Catlin Travel Assistance website.