Below you will find useful information about the

Santa Monica College
International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP)

Currently displaying:

Important Messages


Use your insurance

AN SHSC REFERRAL IS REQUIRED (unless an exception to the referral requirement applies — see the flyer below for details). The student must first use the resources of the Student Health Services Center (SHSC) for health care or the Center for Wellness & Wellbeing (CWW) for psychological care where treatment will be administered or a referral issued. SHSC or CWW must be used for the entire term of coverage, even summer, not just until the end of classes.


Location: Northeast Corner of the Cayton Center Complex by the Cafeteria

Phone: (310) 434-4262

Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.


Location: Main Campus, Liberal Arts Buildiung, Room 110

Phone: (310) 434-4503

Monday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (closed 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
Tuesday–Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (closed 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.)

Closed weekends and school holidays. Consult the campus health center website for summer hours.

It is required that you visit the campus health center first to receive treatment or a referral for any treatment off campus.

If you have received a referral, use providers in the PPO network whenever possible.

To find a PPO provider, visit the Cigna website (link below).

  1. At the bottom of the page, click on the Provider Directory link: hcpdirectory.cigna.com.
  2. From the top right of the screen next to search box, click on Find a Doctor, Dentist, or Facility.
  3. Under “How are you Covered,” click on Employer or School.
  4. Enter your Address and City, or Zip, then click on address to confirm. Click on Doctor by Type, Doctor by Name, or Locations and make your selection in the drop down.
  5. Click Continue as guest.
  6. Confirm your address and click Continue.
  7. Under “Please Select a Plan,” click PPO, PPO Tiered (bottom).
  8. Select a doctor from the list.

It is best to locate an in-network doctor, urgent care center, and emergency room near you before you get sick. Always verify the provider is part of the Cigna PPO Network before you receive treatment.

To fill a prescription, you will need to pay for the prescription in full, then submit a claim for reimbursement. See the link below for a prescription drug claim form.

In most cases, the provider will submit the claim for you.

If you are required to pay for services up front, you will need to complete a claim form in order to be reimbursed by the insurance company.

Download a claim form below, and send the completed form with all bills and receipts for medical treatment to:

Relation Insurance Administrators
P.O. Box 6040
Agoura Hills, CA 91376-6040

Make sure you fill out the form completely so your claim will be processed promptly.

Keep copies of all the documents you submit for claims.

If you have questions about claims, contact Relation Insurance Administrators at (800) 468-4343 or riainfo@relationinsurance.com.


Confidential Communication Request

If you would like to have confidential medical information from the claims administrator sent to an address other than the address on file with your school, you can download a Confidential Communication Request, fill out the form, and send it to the address listed. This form is available below.

Students covered under the student insurance plan are automatically enrolled in the Scholastic Emergency Services (SES) coverage. SES offers many services to help students when traveling away from your school or outside the U.S., including medical emergencies during travel, help with lost luggage, documents, or medications, insightful pre-trip information, and more.

For additional information, see your plan brochure or visit the SES website.